Parish Directory for Our Lady of Angels Church in Hermiston

A parish booklet for Our Lady of Angel Church in Hermiston, Oregon. It includes an historical timeline of the church, along with its local missions in Umatilla, Boardman, and Echo. It chronicles the parish’s development from its origins under the Dioceses of Baker and Oregon City, listing the successive Irish Capuchin Franciscan pastors, assistants, and religious sisters who served the community over several decades. The document records major structural milestones — such as the construction, re

Details

Level of description
Item
Date
c.1967
Reference
19
Extent and medium
24 pp; printed
Scope and content
A parish booklet for Our Lady of Angel Church in Hermiston, Oregon. It includes an historical timeline of the church, along with its local missions in Umatilla, Boardman, and Echo. It chronicles the parish’s development from its origins under the Dioceses of Baker and Oregon City, listing the successive Irish Capuchin Franciscan pastors, assistants, and religious sisters who served the community over several decades. The document records major structural milestones — such as the construction, relocation, and dedication of various church buildings.
Repository
Irish Capuchin Archives
Context
Irish Capuchin Archives > Papers of the Irish Capuchin Mission in the United States > Irish Capuchin Foundations in the United States > Hermiston, Oregon

Annotations

Rights

Rights
Copyright held by the respective institution. Contact the archive for reproduction permissions.

Related Items

Extracted Mentions

People, places, and terms identified via handwriting recognition and named entity recognition.

Sample passages

  • THE FIRST CHURCH IN HERMISTON WAS DEDICATED ON NOVEMBER 13, 1910 AND WAS A TWO STORY BUILDING, A COMBINATION CHURCH AND RECTORY. THIS BUILDING WAS LOCATED APPROXIMATELY TWO BLOCKS…
  • FR. DOMINIC O'CONNOR OFM CAP. WAS APPOINTED PASTOR IN AUGUST 1925. ON JANUARY 25, 1927, BISHOP FRANCIS MCGRATH CONSECRATED THE CHURCH. THE RELICS OF ST. AURALIA, MARTYR, AND ST. AE…
  • DURING FR. LEOPOLD'S PASTORATE, A WHOLE PLANT WAS BUILT IN HERMISTON. THE PARISH HALL, VALUED AT $40,000, WAS STARTED ON JULY 6, 1953 AND WAS DEDICATED BY BISHOP FRANCIS P. LEIPZIG…
Full Transcript (OCR, 1 pages)

Machine-generated OCR transcript. Handwritten material may contain recognition errors.

Page 1

Our Lady Of Angels Catholic Church 565 Hermiston Avenue Hermiston, Oregon 97838 Phone 567-5812 HISTORY OF OUR LADY OF ANGELS PARISH ORIGINALLY, HERMISTON WAS PART OF THE DALLES PARISH AND THEN PART OF THE PENDLETON PARISH. IN THE SUMMER OF 1909, THE SERVITE FATHERS WERE PUT IN CHARGE OF HERMISTON AND IT BECAME A SEPARATE PARISH. THE SERVITES LEFT IN JANUARY 1910. THE IRISH CAPUCHIN FRANCISCANS ARRIVED IN HERMISTON IN FEBRUARY 1910. THE FIRST MASS SAID BY THEM WAS ON SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 20, 1910 IN HERMISTON AND ALSO IN UMA-TILLA. FR. THOMAS DOWLING OFM CAP., AND FR. LUKE SHEEHAN OFM CAP. WERE THE FIRST PRIESTS IN RESIDENCE. FR. CASIMIR BUTLER OFM CAP. WAS APPOINTED PASTOR IN OCTOBER 1910, AND REMAINED PASTOR UNTIL AUGUST 1925. ASSISTANT PRIESTS ASSIGNED TO THE PARISH DURING HIS PASTORATE WERE: FR. LEONARD BROPHY OFM CAP. - DECEMBER 1910; FR. MALACHY HYNES OFM CAP. - JUNE 1912; FR. BRENDAN O'CALLAGHAN OFM CAP. - DECEMBER 1910; EMBER 1913; AND FR. ANTHONY HOLMES OFM CAP. - NOVEMBER 1915. THE FIRST CHURCH IN HERMISTON WAS DEDICATED ON NOVEMBER 13, 1910 AND WAS A TWO STORY BUILDING, A COMBINATION CHURCH AND RECTORY. THIS BUILDING WAS LOCATED APPROXIMATELY TWO BLOCKS SOUTH OF THE PRESENT SITE OF OUR LADY OF ANGELES CATHOLIC CHURCH. ON OCTOBER 7, 1912, THE PRESENT SITE WAS ACQUIRED AND A BUILDING OF CONCRETE WAS ERECTED. BISHOP O'REILLY DEDICATED THE NEW CHURCH OCTOBER 24, 1915. IN OCTOBER 1924, THE OLD RECTORY WAS MOVED TO A LOT ADJACENT TO THE CHURCH AND REMAINED IN USE AS RECTORY UNTIL 1960. FR. DOMINIC O'CONNOR OFM CAP. WAS APPOINTED PASTOR IN AUGUST 1925. ON JANUARY 25, 1927, BISHOP FRANCIS MCGRATH CONSECRATED THE CHURCH. THE RELICS OF ST. AURALIA, MARTYR, AND ST. AELODORE, MARTYR, WERE PLACED IN THE ALTAR. IN AUGUST 1928, FR. SERAPHIN NESDALE OFM CAP. REPLACED FR. DOMINIC AS PASTOR. FR. CHARLES GOUGH OFM CAP. BECAME PASTOR IN FEBRUARY 1931 AND FR. REGINALD O'HANLON OFM CAP. BECAME PASTOR ON JULY 25, 1931. FR. DOMINIC O'CONNOR OFM CAP. AGAIN BECAME PASTOR ON OCTOBER 12, 1931 AND REMAINED PASTOR UNTIL HIS DEATH IN BEND, OREGON ON OCTOBER 17, 1935. FR. VINCENT KERWICK OFM CAP. WAS APPOINTED PASTOR NOVEMBER 2, 1935 AND WAS SUCCEEDED BY FR. FINIAN CARROLL OFM CAP. ON SEPTEMBER 23, 1936. FR. VALERIAN O'LEARY OFM CAP. BECAME PASTOR IN 1938. FR. ALBAN CULLEN OFM CAP. WAS APPOINTED PASTOR OCTOBER 9, 1939 AND WAS SUCCEEDED BY FR. CORNELIUS HYLAND OFM CAP. ON SEPTEMBER 12, 1943. FR. FERGUS LAWLESS OFM CAP. REPLACED FR. CORNELIUS AS PASTOR SEPTEMBER 27, 1946, AND SERVED IN THIS CAPACITY UNTIL FR. SYLVAN MURPHY WAS APPOINTED PASTOR JULY 9, 1951. ON JANUARY 9, 1952, FR. LEOPOLD O'RIORDAN OFM CAP. WAS APPOINTED PASTOR AND REMAINED IN THIS POSITION UNTIL OCTOBER 1965. DURING FR. LEOPOLD'S PASTORATE, A WHOLE PLANT WAS BUILT IN HERMISTON. THE PARISH HALL, VALUED AT $40,000, WAS STARTED ON JULY 6, 1953 AND WAS DEDICATED BY BISHOP FRANCIS P. LEIPZIG ON JANUARY 25, 1954. THE LAST MASS WAS SAID IN THE OLD CHURCH BUILDING ON APRIL 7, 1956 AND CONSTRUCTION WAS BEGUN ON THE…

Showing 1 of 1 pages — download full transcript