Notes for the History of Roseburg Parish, Oregon

A document titled ‘Notes for the History of Roseburg Parish, Oregon’ by Fr. Urban Riordan OFM Cap. providing an overview of the early organization, changing territories, and pastoral leadership of St. Joseph’s Parish in Douglas County, Oregon. It records that the parish was organized between 1851 and 1871, originally covering most of eastern Douglas County, with numerous outlying missions including Myrtle Creek, Yoncalla, Riddle, and formerly Marshfield (Coos Bay). The text outlines structural t

Details

Level of description
Item
Date
11 July 1946
Reference
14
Extent and medium
9 pp; typescript
Scope and content
A document titled ‘Notes for the History of Roseburg Parish, Oregon’ by Fr. Urban Riordan OFM Cap. providing an overview of the early organization, changing territories, and pastoral leadership of St. Joseph’s Parish in Douglas County, Oregon. It records that the parish was organized between 1851 and 1871, originally covering most of eastern Douglas County, with numerous outlying missions including Myrtle Creek, Yoncalla, Riddle, and formerly Marshfield (Coos Bay). The text outlines structural transitions, such as relinquishing Glendale to the Grants Pass parish in 1945, while keeping town masses in Drain active within a community hall. The history includes detailed chronological record of serving clergy compiled from records. It begins with the pioneering missionary travels in 1851 by Rev. Fr. Croke and early pastors at the original St. Stephen’s Church, traces the construction of St. Joseph’s Church under Rev. Fr. Wensersky, and provides an exact timeline of successive pastors from 1889 through 1910, including the transition from diocesan priests to Capuchin friars in 1912 and its subsequent history up to 1946.
Repository
Irish Capuchin Archives
Context
Irish Capuchin Archives > Papers of the Irish Capuchin Mission in the United States > Irish Capuchin Foundations in the United States > Roseburg, Oregon

Annotations

Rights

Rights
Copyright held by the respective institution. Contact the archive for reproduction permissions.

Related Items

Extracted Mentions

People, places, and terms identified via handwriting recognition and named entity recognition.

Sample passages

  • 3. From the Church Records. The Rev. Edward Clark 1889 - 97. The Rev. William A. Daly, 17 May 1897; celebrated his first mass as pastor on May 25, 1897; was acting pastor in Novemb…
  • Missions. 1945. Glendale was relinquished to the parish of Grants Pass. Draih, at which town mass is still celebrated in the community Hall, the collection is about the same as in…
  • 2. Pastors at Sr. Stepens. The first church. The Rev. Fr. Heinrich frequently made trips to Gardiner, Reedsport and Smith River, for two or three months at a time travelling by sta…
Full Transcript (OCR, 1 pages)

Machine-generated OCR transcript. Handwritten material may contain recognition errors.

Page 1

Notes for the History of Rodeburg Parish, Oregon. A. Name of Parish. St. Joseph, Location. Roseburg, Douglas County, Oregon. Territory. Most of Douglas County (east). The Parish was organized sometime between the years 1851 and 1871. Missions. 1945. Glendale was relinquished to the parish of Grants Pass. Draih, at which town mass is still celebrated in the community Hall, the collection is about the same as in 1911. Old districts of the parish were Myrtle Creek, Yoncalla, Scotts Valley, Riddle, Tiller, Peel, Smith River, Gardiner and formerly Marshfield (Coos Bay). Most of the districts are yet missions to Roseburg. B. Record of Priests. From 1871 - 1897 remembered by Mrs. Mary Bryant. Mrs. Barnes Sr. and Mr. Fayette Langenburg. 1. Priests of the Diocese. The Rev. Fr. Croke on August 1st. 1851 started by horseback on a missionary trip from Oregon City reaching as far as Jacksonville and taking in the new town of Roseburg, then enjoying the first boom of its foundation as an incorporated city. Rev. Fr. Blanchet came down at times serving as a missioner. Also priests to attend here where Rev. Fathers Butgen, Berteome, Chabot, Winnenger, DeCrain, Brautchiss, LaVack, Nowel, Birition, Waite, Giligan etc. 2. Pastors at Sr. Stepens. The first church. The Rev. Fr. Heinrich frequently made trips to Gardiner, Reedsport and Smith River, for two or three months at a time travelling by stage, horseback, etc. The Rev. Fr. Wensersky built the new church of St. Joseph. The first under that title. The Rev. Edward Clark was also a pastor of the old St. Stephen's Church. 3. From the Church Records. The Rev. Edward Clark 1889 - 97. The Rev. William A. Daly, 17 May 1897; celebrated his first mass as pastor on May 25, 1897; was acting pastor in November of that year also the Rev. F. P. Gum. The Rev. J. A. Levesque then became rector from August 17th, 1898 - October 26, 1902. He was succeeded by the following pastors: Rev. Father Edward D. Doyle October 26, 1902 Rev. Father Dalin (Grants Pass) January 1904 Rev. Father Chabot January 1904 Rev. Father O'Carroll t 1907 Rev. Father O'Hara (assistance) April 1907 * Rev. Father W. F. McGee, Pastor January 1909 1908 Rev. Father Merke (supply) January 1909 Rev. Father A. Lane October 1909 Rev. Father John Powers Pastor July 23 1910 The Rev John Powers was the last priest of the Archdiocese being succeeded by priests of the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin in 1912.