Memoranda of Parish of Our Lady of Angels, Burlingame, San Francisco
Memorandum on the Parish of Our Lady of Angels, Burlingame, San Francisco. The document was written by Fr. Thomas Dowling OFM Cap. and it outlines the historical founding and early growth of the parish under the Irish Capuchin friars starting in late 1926. The text details how the community quickly outgrew its initial repurposed buildings, leading to a church expansion and the opening of a parochial school under the Sisters of Mercy by August 1927. The document highlights the parish’s rapid stat
Details
- Level of description
- Item
- Date
- c.1927
- Reference
- 3
- Extent and medium
- 3 pp; manuscript
- Scope and content
- Memorandum on the Parish of Our Lady of Angels, Burlingame, San Francisco. The document was written by Fr. Thomas Dowling OFM Cap. and it outlines the historical founding and early growth of the parish under the Irish Capuchin friars starting in late 1926. The text details how the community quickly outgrew its initial repurposed buildings, leading to a church expansion and the opening of a parochial school under the Sisters of Mercy by August 1927. The document highlights the parish’s rapid statistical growth in attendance and property size, its spiritual care of the local Sisters of Mercy Novitiate, and its formal canonical recognition granted by the Vatican in May 1927.
- Repository
- Irish Capuchin Archives
- Context
- Irish Capuchin Archives > Papers of the Irish Capuchin Mission in the United States > Irish Capuchin Foundations in the United States > Burlingame, California
Annotations
Rights
- Rights
- Copyright held by the respective institution. Contact the archive for reproduction permissions.
Related Items
Extracted Mentions
People, places, and terms identified via handwriting recognition and named entity recognition.
Sample passages
- At a meeting of the Diocesan Council of Archiepiscops of San Francisco held in the Mouth of November 1926 the new Parish of our Lady of Angels situated at North Burlingame was esta…
- Christmas Day about 300. The number of Families registered in the new Parish was 180. After about six weeks the Father acquired a more commodarious residence, and immediately began…
- Christmas Day about 300. The number of Families registered in the new Parish was 180. After about six weeks the Father acquired a more commodarious residence, and immediately began…
Full Transcript (OCR, 1 pages)
Machine-generated OCR transcript. Handwritten material may contain recognition errors.
Page 1
Memoranda of Parish of our Lady of Angels - Burlingame, San Francisco At a meeting of the Diocesan Council of Archiepiscops of San Francisco held in the Mouth of November 1926 the new Parish of our Lady of Angels situated at North Burlingame was established. The Secretary of the Archbibles notified very Rev. Jr. Shames of Kitkenny to take one Pactoral charge of the Parish from November 19th. The Boundaries of the Parish were set from road at South Side of Mills Ridge to Sanchez Avenue. On December 1st the Archbibles North Rev. G. J. Hanna formally launched over the Parish to the spiritual care of the lessoners of the Father. Father Shames of Kitkenny and Barchmans of Little Island were appointed by the very Rev. Jr. Edwin of Bastlemetry Vicar-Provincial to undate the work in this new location. He old building exceted many years before as an Episcopal Church exceted many years before as a Guild Hall was bought, and the first hears was celebrated therein on a temporary status on Sunday December 19th 1926. The Father purchased and came beside in a very big cottage adjoining the new church. Choral 80 people attended there the first Sunday and on Catholic 2 Christmas Day about 300. The number of Families registered in the new Parish was 180. After about six weeks the Father acquired a more commodarious residence, and immediately began creating a Parchial School on the side of their old one. In the mouth of Apoll the Church was entended to divide its espace - new Confessionals were made built and the Station of the Cross exceted. In the mouth of August 1927 the new School was opened under the care of the Sisters of Mercy. The attendance was 73. At our visitation September 1927, we found that the number of Catholic Families residing in the Parish was approximately 200. The attendance at the Parchial School was 18 & and attendance at Sunday School conducted by the Sisters of Mercy on Sundays, Tuesdays & Thursdays for children not attending our Parchial School was 73. The Father have acquired property for the Parish 350 portage by 120 feet depth. On addition to the Spiritual care of the Parish he retired have spiritual divastion of the Mother. Hanna and Northale of the Sisters of Mercy - the members in country amounting to about 50 Sisters. Man is celebrated 3 in the Convent each morning at 6.30. The Confessions of the Sisters are heard and a monthly Spiritual conference delivered to them. At our visitation we assigned as 3rd Father to Burlingame Jr. Lesione of In May 1927 letters were received from Rome 2 from the Congregation of Religious and a third from the Sacred Congregation of the Church privileges (a) a Canonical Foundation in Burlingame (Eastern) San Francisco and (b) approving our acceptance of the spiritual charge of the Parish. Written by the lake Jr. Shames (Darling) of Rickenny. ex-Provincial