Parish Directory for Our Lady of Angels, Burlingame, California

Parish directory for Our Lady of Angels in Burlingame, California. The directory includes a historical summary of notable events in the parish’s history. It mentions Archbishop Edward J. Hanna laying the cornerstone for the new church and the parish being given to the Capuchin Franciscan friars.

Details

Level of description
Item
Date
1969
Reference
16
Extent and medium
103 pp; printed
Scope and content
Parish directory for Our Lady of Angels in Burlingame, California. The directory includes a historical summary of notable events in the parish’s history. It mentions Archbishop Edward J. Hanna laying the cornerstone for the new church and the parish being given to the Capuchin Franciscan friars.
Repository
Irish Capuchin Archives
Context
Irish Capuchin Archives > Papers of the Irish Capuchin Mission in the United States > Printed Fliers, Publicity Material and Newsletters

Annotations

Rights

Rights
Copyright held by the respective institution. Contact the archive for reproduction permissions.

Related Items

Extracted Mentions

People, places, and terms identified via handwriting recognition and named entity recognition.

Places

Sample passages

  • It is now 43 years since the Parish of Our Lady of Angels was first established. A Parchment Document found enclosed in the foundation stone of the old Our Lady of Angels School wh…
  • Our Lady of Angels Parish was established by The Most Rev. Edward J. Hanna on November 15, 1926 and given to The Capuchin Franciscan Fathers on December 1st, 1926. The Very Rev. Th…
  • It is now 43 years since the Parish of Our Lady of Angels was first established. A Parchment Document found enclosed in the foundation stone of the old Our Lady of Angels School wh…
Full Transcript (OCR, 1 pages)

Machine-generated OCR transcript. Handwritten material may contain recognition errors.

Page 1

OUR LADY OF ANGELS THE PAST — A CHALLENGE TO THE FUTURE — 1926 - 1969 It is now 43 years since the Parish of Our Lady of Angels was first established. A Parchment Document found enclosed in the foundation stone of the old Our Lady of Angels School when repairs were being done to the foundation reads as follows: In The Name of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ of His Immaculate Mother, the ever Blessed Virgin Mary, of Our Holy Father Saint Francis, and of the Holy Virgin Saint Clare, this corner stone was blessed and laid by His Excellency, The Most Reverend Edward J. Hanna, D.D., Archbishop of San Francisco, assisted by Right Rev. James P. Cantwell, Chancellor, Very Rev. Thomas Millett, Secretary to the Archbishop, the Rev. Timothy Callaghan, Pastor of St. Matthews, San Mateo, The Rev. Michael Power, Pastor of St. Catherines, Burlingame, The Rev. James McHugh (Headmaster of St. Joseph's Academy, Belmont). Our Lady of Angels Parish was established by The Most Rev. Edward J. Hanna on November 15, 1926 and given to The Capuchin Franciscan Fathers on December 1st, 1926. The Very Rev. Thomas Dowling, O.F.M. Cap. was the first Pastor and The Revs. Berchmans Cantillon, O.F.M. Cap. and Isidore Kennedy, O.F.M. Cap. the first Assistant Pastors. The old "Episcopal Guild Hall," and an adjoining house and lot were purchased for the sum of $31,000. The first Mass was said in the Guild Hall on Sunday, December 19, 1926 with 80 people present. With various extensions added, this Guild Hall served as the Church up to December 17, 1950. The building of the first Parochial School in San Mateo County began January 23, 1927 and was completed August 22, 1927 (8 grades). Five Sisters of Mercy from The Mother House on Adeline Drive were appointed to teach: Sister Mary Rosarii, Principal, Sisters Euphrasia, Petronilla, Clarence and Ernestine. The present Church of Our Lady of Angels was built in 1949-50 and in 1951-52 the new Rectory. The Convent and four extra classrooms were added in 1959 and in 1962 four more classrooms on Cabrillo Avenue completed the 16 classrooms. The parish dream of a multi-purpose Parish Hall was realized in 1968 when our new hall was opened for use. From 200 families in 1926 to 1,837 families in 1968—this is how we have grown. We dedicate the edition of The Parish Directory to the founding Priests and Sisters of Our Lady of Angels Parish, and to the known and unknown parishioners and friends, both past and present, whose dedicated devotion and solid faith have made it possible for us to enjoy the fruits of their labors. —THE MODERATOR.