Old Capuchin Friary, Kilkenny
An exterior view of the old Capuchin Friary building on Walkin Street in Kilkenny. There appears to be scaffolding erected in the background. In December 1873, the foundation stone was laid for a new Friary running parallel to Walkin Street. In 1889 a lease was obtained for a small garden adjoining the Friary and in July 1896 the site of the old alms house was obtained from the Most Rev. Abraham Brownrigg (1836-1928), Bishop of Ossory. This allowed for the building of an additional wing to the F
Details
- Level of description
- Item
- Date
- c.1896
- Reference
- 87
- Extent and medium
- Glass Plate Negative; 8 cm x 8 cm
- Scope and content
- An exterior view of the old Capuchin Friary building on Walkin Street in Kilkenny. There appears to be scaffolding erected in the background. In December 1873, the foundation stone was laid for a new Friary running parallel to Walkin Street. In 1889 a lease was obtained for a small garden adjoining the Friary and in July 1896 the site of the old alms house was obtained from the Most Rev. Abraham Brownrigg (1836-1928), Bishop of Ossory. This allowed for the building of an additional wing to the Friary in 1897. This new wing was located at right angles to Walkin Street and extended to Pennyfeather Lane.
- Repository
- Irish Capuchin Archives
- Context
- Irish Capuchin Archives > Glass Plate Negative and Lantern Slide Collection > Annotated and Captioned Photographic Plates
Annotations
Rights
- Rights
- Copyright held by the respective institution. Contact the archive for reproduction permissions.
Related Items
Archival Data
This item is from the catholicarchives.ie collection, which has not yet been processed through the OCR and named entity recognition pipeline.