Mission Santa Inés History

Copy of a leaflet on the history of Mission Santa Inés by Fr. Zephyrin Engelhardt OFM, ‘Historian of the California Missions’. Reference is made to the appointment of Fr. Albert Bibby OFM Cap. as Pastor of the Mission in November 1924 and to the work of the Irish Capuchins in restoring the historic building. The pamphlet was printed in Solvang, Santa Barbara County, in April 1939.

Details

Level of description
Item
Date
1939
Reference
12
Extent and medium
6 pp; printed
Scope and content
Copy of a leaflet on the history of Mission Santa Inés by Fr. Zephyrin Engelhardt OFM, ‘Historian of the California Missions’. Reference is made to the appointment of Fr. Albert Bibby OFM Cap. as Pastor of the Mission in November 1924 and to the work of the Irish Capuchins in restoring the historic building. The pamphlet was printed in Solvang, Santa Barbara County, in April 1939.
General note
For biographical information on Fr. Zephyrin Engelhardt OFM (1851-1934) see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zephyrin_Engelhardt
Repository
Irish Capuchin Archives
Context
Irish Capuchin Archives > Papers of the Irish Capuchin Mission in the United States > Printed Fliers, Publicity Material and Newsletters

Annotations

Rights

Rights
Copyright held by the respective institution. Contact the archive for reproduction permissions.

Related Items

Extracted Mentions

People, places, and terms identified via handwriting recognition and named entity recognition.

Sample passages

  • It was later known as the College Ranch, which had 35,499 acres of land. Micheltorena also promised $500 cash every year from his own pocket. The Governor was driven out by the Pio…
  • Down to 1850, inclusive, there were 1631 baptisms, 497 marriages, and 1632 burials entered. The last Franciscans, Father Jose Joaquin Jimeno and Father Francisco de Jesus Sanchez,…
  • Down to 1850, inclusive, there were 1631 baptisms, 497 marriages, and 1632 burials entered. The last Franciscans, Father Jose Joaquin Jimeno and Father Francisco de Jesus Sanchez,…
Full Transcript (OCR, 1 pages)

Machine-generated OCR transcript. Handwritten material may contain recognition errors.

Page 1

SANTA INES MISSION FOUNDED SEPTEMBER 17, 1804 SANTA YNEZ VALLEY SANTA BARBARA COUNTY, CALIFORNIA By FATHER ZEPHYRIN ENGELHARDT, O.F.M. Historian of the California Missions This material was written in 1922 for a leaflet to be distributed at the Mission. This was about the time F. Engelhardt completed the original manuscript of the volume, "MISSION SANTA INES," published in 1932 by the Santa Barbara Mission. The original was not used because the printer included the personal letter of transmittal. MISSION SANTA INES ST. AGNES, VIRGIN AND MARTYR THE FOUNDING Santa Ines Mission was established to win the natives of the Interior for Christianity. Founded by Fr. Presidente Estevan Tapis on September 17, 1804, the feast of the Stigmata of St. Francis. Present were the commander of the garrison of Santa Barbara, Raymundo Carrillo, with a detachment of soldiers from there, numerous neophytes from Missions Purisima and Santa Barbara, more than 200 natives. An enramada, or brushwood shelter, had been erected for Holy Mass. The Great Cross was erected and blessed on the spot where the church was to be erected. High Mass was celebrated by Fr. Superior of the Missions, Estevan Tapis, assisted by three Franciscan Fathers—Marcelino Cipres of San Luis Obispo, and Jose Calzada with Romualdo Gutierrez. The last two named were appointed the first missionaries. Fr. Tapis also preached, and then through an interpreter explained to the numerous pagans the object of the coming of the missionaries. Te Deum and the Salve Regina closed the morning ceremonies. Pagan parents on the same occasion offered for Baptism twelve boys from 6 months to 6 years, and fifteen girls from 6 months to 7 years old. Fr. Tapis baptised these first fruits that day. A good beginning, which made the Fathers happy. At the end of that year, 1804, the Baptismal Register showed 112 entries. THE BUILDING An adobe church was erected that same year, roofed with thatch. A row of buildings was put up of adobe with thatched roofs, 232 feet long, 19 feet wide, and 19 feet high—the first wing. [ 2 ] It was later known as the College Ranch, which had 35,499 acres of land. Micheltorena also promised $500 cash every year from his own pocket. The Governor was driven out by the Pio Pico gang. Pico then sold the Mission and its lands and belongings (exclusive of the College Ranch) on June 15, 1846, to Jose Covarrubias and Joaquin Carrillo for $7000. The United States Government repudiated the sale as enacted without authority from the Mexican Government, and contrary to Spanish and Mexican laws on the subject, and on May 23, 1862, President Abraham Lincoln signed the patent which restored the Mission to the Catholic Church. Always a priest resided there. Down to 1850, inclusive, there were 1631 baptisms, 497 marriages, and 1632 burials entered. The last Franciscans, Father Jose Joaquin Jimeno and Father Francisco de Jesus Sanchez, left May, 1850, in favor of the Picpus Fathers. Two fathers of the order, Revs. Bo…

Showing 1 of 1 pages — download full transcript