History of the South Friary, Blackamoor Lane, Cork

History of the South Friary, Blackamoor Lane, Cork, by Fr. Francis Hayes OFM Cap. (1866-1946). The manuscript additions and corrections to the text are by Fr. Stanislaus Kavanagh OFM Cap. The history concludes by noting that the end of the Blackamoor Friary was noted in an ‘Old Account Book of the South Friary: “October 6th 1850. On this Sunday the South Friary was finally closed and the new Church of the Most Holy Trinity was opened on the 10th October being the birthday of the Very Rev. Mr. Th

Details

Level of description
Item
Date
c.1938
Reference
11
Extent and medium
6 pp; Typescript with manuscript additions; Copy photographic print
Scope and content
History of the South Friary, Blackamoor Lane, Cork, by Fr. Francis Hayes OFM Cap. (1866-1946). The manuscript additions and corrections to the text are by Fr. Stanislaus Kavanagh OFM Cap. The history concludes by noting that the end of the Blackamoor Friary was noted in an ‘Old Account Book of the South Friary: “October 6th 1850. On this Sunday the South Friary was finally closed and the new Church of the Most Holy Trinity was opened on the 10th October being the birthday of the Very Rev. Mr. Theobald Mathew’. With copy photographic print of the old friary building on Blackamoor Lane. The print has been endorsed on the reverse by Fr. Carthage Ruth OFM Cap. It reads ‘Blackamoor Lane off Sullivan’s Quay, Cork city – behind Tax Office, built about 1771 by Friar Arthur O’Leary – used until 1850 when Fr. Mathew Memorial Church of the Holy Trinity was opened for divine worship’.
Repository
Irish Capuchin Archives
Context
Irish Capuchin Archives > Papers of Holy Trinity (Father Mathew Memorial) Church, Cork > Historical Writings

Annotations

Rights

Rights
Copyright held by the respective institution. Contact the archive for reproduction permissions.

Related Items

Archival Data

OCR transcript available. No threshold-passing named entities were extracted from this document.