History of St. Joseph’s Church, Roseburg

A clipping of an article titled ‘History of St. Joseph’s, Roseburg’ by Fr. Bernard Clery OFM Cap., chronicling the early foundations of the Catholic Church in Oregon’s Umpqua Valley. It highlights Father Croke as the first priest to visit the region, traveling on horseback from Oregon City in 1853 and returning in 1854 by buggy to minister across towns like Canyonville, Jacksonville, and Albany. The narrative transitions to Archbishop F. N. Blanchet’s September 1858 journey to the southern part

Details

Level of description
Item
Date
c.1924
Reference
12
Extent and medium
1 p.; clipping
Scope and content
A clipping of an article titled ‘History of St. Joseph’s, Roseburg’ by Fr. Bernard Clery OFM Cap., chronicling the early foundations of the Catholic Church in Oregon’s Umpqua Valley. It highlights Father Croke as the first priest to visit the region, traveling on horseback from Oregon City in 1853 and returning in 1854 by buggy to minister across towns like Canyonville, Jacksonville, and Albany. The narrative transitions to Archbishop F. N. Blanchet’s September 1858 journey to the southern part of the diocese, noted for a carriage accident that threw the archbishop to the ground without serious injury. The text reproduces an entry written by Archbishop Blanchet in 1868, establishing a church register for the ‘mission of St. Stephen the Martyr’ at Roseburg to record regional baptisms, marriages, and burials. It also outlines key historical milestones, including an 1854 mission preached by Father Bouchard, an 1864 land deed from Aaron Rose, the construction of the first Catholic church building under Father Wenzierski around 1879, the parish being named St. Joseph’s in 1886, and the Irish Capuchins taking charge of the mission in 1912.
Repository
Irish Capuchin Archives
Context
Irish Capuchin Archives > Papers of the Irish Capuchin Mission in the United States > Irish Capuchin Foundations in the United States > Roseburg, Oregon

Annotations

Rights

Rights
Copyright held by the respective institution. Contact the archive for reproduction permissions.

Related Items

Extracted Mentions

People, places, and terms identified via handwriting recognition and named entity recognition.

People

Places

Sample passages

  • Father Croke, who needs not the reflected glory of his better known brother to find a niche in the temple of fame, was the first priest, as far as is known, to visit the Umpqua val…
  • Father Croke again visited the Umpqua valley in 1854. This time he came better prepared. He left Oregon City on August 14 in a two-wheeled buggy drawn by a fine black horse for whi…
  • Silence, like an Oregon mist, enshrouds the next four years. There is no mention of missionary activities again until the year 1858. On September 28 of that year, Archbishop F. N.…
Full Transcript (OCR, 1 pages)

Machine-generated OCR transcript. Handwritten material may contain recognition errors.

Page 1

History of St. Joseph's, Roseburg By REY. B. CLERY, O. M. CAP. Father Croke, who needs not the reflected glory of his better known brother to find a niche in the temple of fame, was the first priest, as far as is known, to visit the Umpqua valley. Leaving Oregon City August 1 on horseback in the year 1853 he proceeded as far south as Jacksonville, no doubt administering the sacraments and preaching the Word of God as he went on his way. On his return journey it is mentioned in the records here, that he baptized an old lady, Mrs. O'Kelly. He reached Oregon City November 1 in the same year. Father Croke again visited the Umpqua valley in 1854. This time he came better prepared. He left Oregon City on August 14 in a two-wheeled buggy drawn by a fine black horse for which he paid $200.00. On September 5 he reached Canyonville, and proceeded to Jacksonville. On his return he visited Crescent City, Port Orford, Coos Bay, Umpqua City, Eugene City, Marysville (Corvallis) and Albany. "Having been absent four months, and having endured many hardships, and been exposed to many dangers." The fruits of this journey are not mentioned here. No doubt the book of Life. Silence, like an Oregon mist, enshrouds the next four years. There is no mention of missionary activities again until the year 1858. On September 28 of that year, Archbishop F. N. Blanchet left Oregon City in a four-wheel buggy drawn by two horses, to visit the southern part of the archdiocese. John Murphy was the driver. For his time and labor he took not a penny. They left Salem October 5, arrived at Roseburg the 8th, Canyonville the 10th, and Jacksonville the 13th. On the 19th Father Croke arrived from San Francisco to give a report of his own journey, and of the work done during the year. Of the archbishop's journey it is recorded, that the horses twice took fright, the buggy was overturned, the archbishop was thrown to the ground, but escaped without serious injury. Gentle reader, blame not the horses, more intelligent beings than they, would take fright at Canyonville in those days, but rather, breathe a prayer for old John Murphy. They don't make 'em anymore. The following is found on page nine of the church register in the handwriting of Archbishop Blanchet. "This book containing 320 pages is the register especially intended for the mission of St. Stephen the Martyr, at Roseburg, Douglas county, state of Oregon, and the other stations of the valley of Umpqua including also the seaboard. In the register shall be entered first, all the acts of baptisms, marriages, sepultures, abjurations, professions of faith, 2nd the blessing of the church, of the graveyard, of bells, 3rd the names of the persons confirmed, the chronicle of remarkable events in the mission." "The baptisms and marriages made in the Valley of Umpqua from 1853 to 1867 by the Rev. Fathers Croke, Poulin, Nala, Vandergreen, Thibau, they have carried with them, and inserted in the registers of the places where they were appointed m…

Showing 1 of 1 pages — download full transcript