Historic Irish Castles and Buildings / Bound Clippings Volume

A bound volume containing newspaper clippings mainly relating to historic Irish castles, churches, abbeys, monuments, and public buildings. Most of the clippings are taken from newspaper articles seemingly published in the last decade of the nineteenth century. Many of the entries take the form of antiquarian sketches and illustrations and include articles on local histories, folklore and legends. Several of the articles are accounts of the 1798 rebellion (published around the centenary of the i

Details

Level of description
Subseries
Date
c.1890-1904
Reference
34
Extent and medium
c.250 pp; 30 cm x 25 cm; bound volume; clipping
Scope and content
A bound volume containing newspaper clippings mainly relating to historic Irish castles, churches, abbeys, monuments, and public buildings. Most of the clippings are taken from newspaper articles seemingly published in the last decade of the nineteenth century. Many of the entries take the form of antiquarian sketches and illustrations and include articles on local histories, folklore and legends. Several of the articles are accounts of the 1798 rebellion (published around the centenary of the insurrection). Views and descriptions of various scenic locations (notably in County Kerry) are also included in the volume. Some of the illustrations appear to be taken (or reproduced) from editions of the ‘Dublin Penny Journal’ and the ‘Illustrated Dublin Journal’ published in the mid-nineteenth century.
General note
The volume requires extensive cleaning. The covers are partially torn but internally the volume remains firmly bound.
Repository
Irish Capuchin Archives
Context
Irish Capuchin Archives > Papers of 'The Capuchin Annual' and the Irish Capuchin Publications Office > Papers of Fr. Senan Moynihan OFM Cap.

Annotations

Rights

Rights
Copyright held by the respective institution. Contact the archive for reproduction permissions.

Related Items

Extracted Mentions

People, places, and terms identified via handwriting recognition and named entity recognition.

Sample passages

  • The village of Clondalkin is situated in an open flat country within five miles of Dublin, at a short distance off the direct road to Naas. It is a smiling assemblage of cleanly co…
  • The writer is indebted for the following additional information regarding this locality. "When passing by that sequestered and romantic spot, where stood the remains of Dysart Gall…
  • Interior view of the Abby of Holy Cross,
Full Transcript (OCR, 53 pages)

Machine-generated OCR transcript. Handwritten material may contain recognition errors.

Page 1

Memorials of St. Samson still exist in Ireland. In the former parish of Ballygriffin, a church had been placed under the patronage of this Cambrian saint. The church may have been on the site of one still more ancient, and it was built near the manorial castle of Ballygriffin58—so called probably from some Welsh settler and founder.59 The church or district of St. Samson's W. K. WAKEMAN St. Doulough's Church, County of Dublin. been engraved on the maps, we are led irresistibly to such a conclusion. See Rev. Dr. Reeves' "Memoir of the Church of St. Duilech, in the Diocese of Dublin," pp. 5, 6. For further particulars, regarding this church and parish of Ballygriffin, the reader is referred to that valuable Memoir. 60 There is a beautiful lithograph drawing of this church, by J. D. Harding, from a sketch by Robert O'Callaghan Newenham, Esq., as published in "The Picturesque Scenery and Remarkable Antiquities of Ireland." This work has been dedicated to His Excellency Richard Marquis Wellesley, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. 61 This is a townland, within the parish of Ballygriffin, barony of Coolock, and marked on the "Ordnance Survey Townland Maps church has been absorbed in that of St. Doulough60—a church of mediæval construction61—situated a few miles northwards from the city of Dublin. The old church of Balgriffin62—the present name—lay between the very curious ancient structure of St. Duilech63 and Stapolin, in the county of Dublin. At the left hand side, entering the avenue to Balgriffin Park, some traces of St. Samson's ruined church64 may yet be seen. It consisted of a nave and chancel; together taken, about eighteen yards in length. The churchyard is under meadow; still a shadowy outline of its precincts is faintly discernible. Yet, both these objects seem to have escaped the notice of our Ordnance Survey staff. Not having for the County of Dublin," sheet 15. 62 The walls were razed, and the whole site levelled, when the present Belgriffin House was erected, nearly a century and a-half ago, by the Doynes of Wells, in the county of Wexford. 63 The accompanying illustration of St. Doulough's church was drawn on the spot, by William F. Wakeman, and by him transferred to the wood, engraved by Mrs. Millard. 64 See "Ordnance Survey Townland Maps for the County of Dublin," sheet 15. This small parish contains only 1,052a. 2r. 2p.

Page 2

MUNSTER MUNSTER CONNAUGHT

Showing 2 of 53 pages — download full transcript