Extracts from the Burlingame Archives
Memorandum on the early history of the Parish of Our Lady of Angels in Burlingame. The extract refers to the canonical creation, naming process, and initial search for a physical location for the church in Burlingame in November 1926.
Details
- Level of description
- Item
- Date
- c.1930
- Reference
- 4
- Extent and medium
- 4 pp; typescript
- Scope and content
- Memorandum on the early history of the Parish of Our Lady of Angels in Burlingame. The extract refers to the canonical creation, naming process, and initial search for a physical location for the church in Burlingame in November 1926.
- Repository
- Irish Capuchin Archives
- Context
- Irish Capuchin Archives > Papers of the Irish Capuchin Mission in the United States > Irish Capuchin Foundations in the United States > Burlingame, California
Annotations
Rights
- Rights
- Copyright held by the respective institution. Contact the archive for reproduction permissions.
Related Items
Extracted Mentions
People, places, and terms identified via handwriting recognition and named entity recognition.
Places
Terms
- Archdiocese(1)
Sample passages
- On November 15th. 1926 the following Official announcement was issued from the Office of the Archbishop of San Francisco, and published in the Monitor which is the Official Organ o…
- The boundaries of Our Parish were officially published on date of its foundation as above - Nov. 15th. 1926. "Boundaries of new Parish of Our Lady of Angels at Easton (Burlingame)…
- On November 15th. 1926 the following Official announcement was issued from the Office of the Archbishop of San Francisco, and published in the Monitor which is the Official Organ o…
Full Transcript (OCR, 1 pages)
Machine-generated OCR transcript. Handwritten material may contain recognition errors.
Page 1
* 第 六 章 第 十 册 第 十 号 第 十 三 章 第 十 五 册 第 十 五 号 第 十 六 册 * Extracts from Archives Burlingame. On November 15th. 1926 the following Official announcement was issued from the Office of the Archbishop of San Francisco, and published in the Monitor which is the Official Organ of the Archdiocese - "Very Rev. Thomas Dowling O.M.Cap. Pastor of new Parish of Our Lady of Angels, Burlingame." An Official appointment to the same effect reached Fr. Thomas simultaniously. Fr. Thomas immediately went to the Archbishop, and pointed out that the appointment was not canonically worded. It should be to Our Order and not to an individual. The Archbishop immediately handed to him the appended letter. It is of interest to have the Title of the Church explained. The Archbishop with his usual gratiousness discussed with Fr. Thomas the Title of the new Foundation. The latter said that in view of the poverty of the surroundings and associated with the new undertaking, and Our Order's association with Assisi, he would like to have the new Parish called after the first Franciscan Church "Sancta Maria Angelorum" Th Archbishop was very pleased at the suggestion, but in view of the Protestant atmosphere it was decided to have the English translation of same read "Our Lady of the Angels". The boundaries of Our Parish were officially published on date of its foundation as above - Nov. 15th. 1926. "Boundaries of new Parish of Our Lady of Angels at Easton (Burlingame) are North Road immediately South of the Mills Residence. South - Sanchez Avenue". We thus had a parish, but no place therein to locate. We were instructed by the Archbishop's Office that we were not to locate South of Hillside Drive lest we encroach upon St. Catherine's Parish from which the new Parish was cut off. For weary weeks we sought a suitable location. The only one we could find was a vacant lot on Hillside Drive, which although we deemed it inadequate we were instructed by the Office to accept conditionately by paying an option thereon of $200.00. A casual meeting with one of our parishioners let us know that there was a small building originally erected as an Episcopalian Church, and subsequently used as a Build Hall was for sale on Cortez Avenue, South of Hillside Drive. Fr. Thomas went immediately to the Vucar General of the Diocese, Monsignor Ryan, and to the Chancellor Monsignor P. P. Cantwell who had the restriction as