Blackamoor Lane Friary Church, Cork

A view of the site of the former Capuchin church in Cork known as the ‘South Friary’, situated on Blackamoor Lane. With a cover annotation which reads ‘Fr. Theobald Mathew’s old church, Cork’. By the early eighteenth century the Capuchins had established a permanent residence in the South Parish of Cork city and by 1741 had built a small Friary on Blackamoor Lane situated between O’Sullivan’s Quay and Cove Street. The small chapel in the photograph was built by Fr. Arthur O’Leary OSFC (1729-1802

Details

Level of description
Item
Date
c.1900
Reference
48
Extent and medium
Glass Plate Negative; 8 cm x 8 cm
Scope and content
A view of the site of the former Capuchin church in Cork known as the ‘South Friary’, situated on Blackamoor Lane. With a cover annotation which reads ‘Fr. Theobald Mathew’s old church, Cork’. By the early eighteenth century the Capuchins had established a permanent residence in the South Parish of Cork city and by 1741 had built a small Friary on Blackamoor Lane situated between O’Sullivan’s Quay and Cove Street. The small chapel in the photograph was built by Fr. Arthur O’Leary OSFC (1729-1802) in 1771. It subsequently became known as the ‘South Friary’. During the first half of the nineteenth century Cork city underwent a rapid expansion in both geographical size and population. It soon became apparent that the Friary Church on Blackamoor Lane was not sufficient to meet the demands of a growing congregation. In the 1820s Fr. Theobald Mathew OSFC (1790-1856) moved to build a larger church in a more convenient location on Charlotte Quay. The Friary Church on Blackamoor Lane was eventually closed on 6 October 1850. The building soon fell into disrepair.
Repository
Irish Capuchin Archives
Context
Irish Capuchin Archives > Glass Plate Negative and Lantern Slide Collection > Annotated and Captioned Photographic Plates

Annotations

Rights

Rights
Copyright held by the respective institution. Contact the archive for reproduction permissions.

Related Items

Archival Data

This item is from the catholicarchives.ie collection, which has not yet been processed through the OCR and named entity recognition pipeline.

View IIIF manifest